Former crime intelligence boss Richard Mdluli

Controversial head of crime intelligence Richard Mdluli has been "relieved from his duties" from the South African Police Service (SAPS), Minister of Police Fikile Mbalula announced on Wednesday. 

Mdluli had been on suspension for the past six years while he is on trial for kidnapping and murder that took place in 1998. He has also faced numerous allegations of corruption. 

"In the past five years Crime Intelligence has seen 12 acting divisional commissioners. In this regard I wish to announce that lieutenant general Richard Mdluli, who held the position of divisional commissioner, albeit under a long suspension, with mutual agreement, will be relieved of his duties with immediate effect," says Mbalula. 

The minister said when he was appointed to the position he was alarmed by the fact that crime intelligence had had 12 acting divisional commissioners. 

While he has been sitting at home on leave, Mdluli was earning his monthly salaries and bonuses, costing the department millions. 

Mbalula said Mdluli's departure will bring some stability to the crime fighting unit. 

The process to appoint a new head for the crime intelligence is now underway. 

Mbalula said his department was tired of paying people for staying at home and that is what pushed for Mdluli's removal. 

The former head of Hawks Berning Ntlemeza has also official resigned, Mbalula said. This follows months of legal battles where Ntlemeza challenged his dismissal from unit. 

Politics Hub