With plant-based protein continuing to be one of the biggest food trends in 2018, now is the ideal time to embrace positive change and join the green revolution. Green Monday SA is a food resolution you’re likely to actually keep. This global movement, promoted by Humane Society International/Africa, encourages South Africans to swap the meat, eggs and dairy on their plates for plant-based alternatives, one day every week. Eating more plant-based foods can boast a variety of benefits, from reversing chronic diseases to saving precious water resources.
It is really easy to replace animal products in our meals with tasty and healthy plant-based foods. Simply use nut milk instead of dairy milk and add pulses like lentils and beans to your wraps, sandwiches, pastas, soups and stews for protein. ‘Meaty’ vegetables like mushrooms are great to add texture to dishes and soaked cashews make the creamiest sauces. There are also a variety of plant-based meat brands available in South Africa to replace braai favourites like patties, schnitzels, nuggets and sausages.
HSI/Africa urges you to join the Green Monday movement as a New Year’s resolution that will last all year long! This 2019, you have the power to take charge of your health and make a positive difference to the environment and to animals. We can all stand up for animals every time we sit down to eat by reducing the number of animal products we consume, replacing them with plant-based products or animal products from sources that adhere to higher animal welfare standards when possible.
Why not start with a delicious and nutritious dish this coming Green Monday – like this Mexican Pasta Salad by The Green Dietician, Jessica Lazar.
MEXICAN PASTA SALAD
- 500g whole wheat pasta
- 3 raw mielies
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- ½ yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g cherry tomatoes, chopped in half
- 1 mango, chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- A dash of cayenne pepper
For the sauce:
- 2 avocadoes, peeled and destoned
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 sprig fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- Salt to taste
- Water to desired consistency
- Boil pasta according to package instructions, drain and allow to cool
- Steam mielies in the microwave for 8-10 minutes until cooked through, but still crunchy.
- In the meanwhile, chop up your onion, peppers, tomato and mango and add to cooled pasta.
- Cut the corn off the mielie cob and add to your pasta mixture along with the tin of drained beans.
- Season with cumin and cayenne pepper.
- To prepare the sauce: add all the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Once blended, add ¼ to ½ cup water to your desired consistency and pour over the pasta mixture.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh coriander
Tip: For extra texture, add chopped nuts for crunch or plant-based feta cheese cubes for creaminess.
Visit www.greenmonday.co.za for information about the movement and many more marvellous plant-based meals.