With the holiday festivities upon us, we can expect our dinner tables being filled by bigger groups of family and friends. Plant-based dinner parties can be just as fun, tasty and easy – with the added benefit of having a group of people making a positive difference to their health and the health of the planet. There are many delicious plant-based meals that will make your dinner guests drool. Some of my favourite Green Monday SA dishes to serve to a crowd include Baked Mexican Enchiladas, Pasta and Broccoli Bake, Mushroom and Rosemary Risotto, Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Curry, African Peanut and Spinach Stew, Stuffed Sweet Potato Boats and Creamy Butternut Soup. These dishes are not only easy and quick to make but will intrigue and pleasantly surprise your guests too! Tapas-style dining with hummus, pestos and dips with a variety of finger snacks like mushroom bruschetta, falafels, dolmades, veggie skewers and crudités are also a fun way of sharing a decadent dinner. HSI-Africa encourages you to take on the culinary challenge and cater for your crowd the sustainable way! Visit www.greenmonday.co.za for mouth-watering meal inspiration.
ROSEMARY MUSHROOM RISOTTO
- Oil, for frying
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 punnet brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Robertsons Mixed Herbs
- 125 g (1⁄4 packet) Arborio rice
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, 1 chopped; 1 whole for garnish Garlic flakes
- Chili flakes
- Ground black pepper to taste
- In a big pan or skillet, heat the olive oil on a medium-to-high temperature.
- Fry the onion until translucent, add the garlic and mushrooms. Stir frequently until the mushrooms and onion start to brown.
- Add the rice and mixed herbs. Stir well, coating the rice in the pan juices. Turn down the temperature slightly.
- Add enough stock to the pan to cover the rice mixture. Let it simmer over a low heat. Stir continuously (in one direction only) until all the stock is absorbed. Add another big scoop of stock and continue to stir. Repeat until all the stock is used and the rice is creamy and soft (about 20 minutes of cooking).
- In between scoops, add the chopped rosemary, garlic flakes, chili flakes and ground pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with a sprig of fresh rosemary as garnish.